Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Universal Search is Here!

I posted about Universal Search and what you need to do to get ready for it and stay on top of your search results in the beginning of the year. If you don't recall or if you just started following me then you can look at the post located below:

http://myseogal.blogspot.com/2009/01/are-you-ready-to-go-universal.html

I remember getting some negative feedback from those who thought what I was saying was bologna or thought what I was saying was insignificant or didn't apply to them because they already had this website marketing/SEO thing in the bag.

Well good for them!!!! Goody two shoes...... (P.S. I love those type of people, they make me want to work hard at proving them wrong!)

Well guess what guys, Universal Search is here now and very visible in the searches.

Go ahead, do a search, search about anything. Nine times out of ten I bet you will see a variety of options for your search. Unless you're searching something about pet rocks??

You may see Google's Shopping results first or paid advertising, nothing new there. Then you may see a display of images that are related to your search (this is part of the Universal Thing I've been talking about), then videos (Yup, still part of the Universal Search thingy), then the search results.

Now let's go over some things and answer a couple of questions and when I mean a couple I mean a couple! I'm not going to go deep into this right now. Please feel free to read my first post about it to find out more detail about it and what you can do to stay on top of your search results:
http://myseogal.blogspot.com/2009/01/are-you-ready-to-go-universal.html

Here's a common question I get all the time:

How do I get my images to show up in the search results?

Here's a quick tip:
When you upload pictures to your website. Are the images name something like IMG25687? or AzBe25E? Well if they are, CHANGE THEM. Unless someone is searching for an IMG25687 then the chances of you showing up in the search results is very, very, very slim. Try naming your image with your keywords in mind.

Example: If your image is a picture of a giraffe print purse, optimize or name your image with those keywords when you save it to your harddrive or your My Pictures located in your My Documents. Upload them to your website, then go to your Webmaster Tools in your Google Account and include your images in Google's Search. You can do this in your Settings in your Google Webmaster Tools. You can also create a sitemap with your images included and upload it to your Webmaster Tools.

How do I get a video to show up in the search results?

The same goes for videos. Make sure your video file is named with your keywords in mind. Add the videos to your site and to popular video sites like Youtube who just so happen to be owned by Google (wink, wink).


These two tips plus others included in the post I did a while back are really beneficial to your online search results success!

So work on getting those images optimized and those videos uploaded to your site!

Carla Phillips
My SEO Gal
http://myseogal.com
Got a Question or need help? Contact My SEO Gal Today for a FREE SEO Quote.

4 comments:

  1. Carla,

    Thank you for staying on top of googles ever changing world. I appreicate having you as a resource and this image thing totally makes sense...NOW :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good info about the photos. I absolutely hate hate hate optimizing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic advice! I've been doing this since the first time I read about it through you. Had NO IDEA before you mentioned it! Since then I gained 2 new customers that found my images of "Squeaky Shoes." When I looked at my traffic reports, the image of my squeaky shoes came up at top. Who would have thought! BTW, both customers turned into paying customers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome is that Michelle! Glad to know that someone benefited from the post! LOL

    I love what I do and love keeping you guys informed.

    ReplyDelete